Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday.

Since they moved the location of what I think is our city's biggest annual festival, I wasn't planning to attend. There were shuttle buses, but compared to it being in my brother's backyard, it didn't feel very convenient. When J called me today and asked if I wanted to go, my opportunity presented itself.

I'll be honest, the biggest reason I wanted to go is because Gorilla Cheese has been planted there all weekend. I've been dying for a grilled cheese from this truck and have missed my last three chances. I'll get to this in a minute though.

The first thing that happened when we entered the grounds: someone handed us plastic Dr Pepper cups and filled them to the brim. If you know me, you'll have some insight into how giddy this made me. This sugar rush propelled us through checking out all of the vendors (purchasing only strawberry daiquiri lollipops) and having a little dance to one of the performers (who did both Queen and Kesha covers). The sun was remarkably hot as we were verging on 4 pm. This prompted J to perform an ad hoc fashion show in various cheap hats sold along the way, with hilarious and sometimes surprising results.

We strolled through the midway, betting on whether certain kids would puke. One close call came when a boy I'll just describe as "introverted" tumbled out of a ride's cage and crumpled onto the ground. I think he saved himself from tossing his cotton candy only because his brother really wanted to see him get sick.

After at least the third pass in front of the Gorilla Cheese truck, my patience had trickled empty and I needed a sandwich. We ordered two Hammers - ham, granny smith apple, maple syrup and cheddar cheese. If it sounds delicious to you, you wouldn't have been disappointed. It was perfectly crisp, ham and apple thinly sliced, high-quality cheese, and that bit of sweetness to round it out. I so enjoyed my sammie, that could've been the end of my day.

But we stuck around a while longer. Giggled at the small stage band doing some nervous crowd banter, bumped into a friend of mine and her partner, comparison shopped for soft-serve ice cream, and took a long time deciding what we wanted from the cupcake truck. On the way out, we stopped by for another cup of Dr Pepper and were lucky get some from the last bottle as they packed up for the day. J asked whether they had any cups left and we were given a whole sleeve of cute cups with Pepper logos! I haven't decided whether these are going to be special occasion cups or if I can fashion them into some adorable display item.

We had to rest our heads in the car before taking off, our tummies filled with treats and our skin coloured with sun.

No comments: